Please find below information required by Bathurst Regional Council from prospective applicants when considering Expressions of Interest for leasing of the Refreshment Room Cafe (the Café) at the Bathurst Rail Museum.
The Café is located within the Bathurst Rail Museum which opened in February 2020. The museum is a state-of-the-art professional run facility that operates alongside a suite of cultural assets owned and managed by Bathurst Regional Council.
The Bathurst Rail Museum is a five-million-dollar award winning facility that caters for groups, families, and individuals with visitation in excess of 30,000 per annum.
The museum has a strong membership base of over 500 current members, attracting local repeat visitation, particularly to the Kids Central play and learning space targeted at preschool aged children.
The Café services visitors to the museum with direct access to the children's space. It provides services for the broader community through the main counter located at the entrance to the museum and non-ticketed areas.
Seating for customers is located on the decking situated at the front of the Café and within the rail carriage when the carriage is not being used for other activities.
Access to toilets will be provided through the museum for paying and non-paying customers.
The Café provides a unique business opportunity in a contemporary and exciting precinct.
- The Café has a floor space of 9 square meters (see attached plan)
- The Café is offered on 'as is' basis that includes – one countertop display fridge, one under bench fridge, one dishwasher and outdoor cafe furniture.
- The initial lease term will be three (3) years with an option for a further three (3) years subject to Council approval including a rental charge review.
- Base rent will be negotiated as part of the Expression of Interest process. The applicant must nominate an initial figure in the application which will be finalised through a formal lease. This amount will incur an annual CPI increase.
- Outgoings are included in the rent figure
- Compliance with Health Safety and standards for food handling/service areas will be the responsibility of the lessee.
- The Café must be open during the following hours:
Extensions to these times or alternate opening hours are negotiable with Council approval and may incur extra rental charges.
a. 9:00 am to 2:00pm on Monday to Friday, and
b. 9:00 am to 3:00pm on Saturday, Sunday and public holidays.
- The operation should reflect a "hole in the wall" coffee outlet with premade food available as there is limited onsite food preparation space.
- Catering for children must be included.
- Environmentally sustainable practices are required.
- Insurance: $20 million Public Liability insurance to cover operations is the responsibility of the Lessee.
- Staffing of the Refreshment Room Cafe is the responsibility of the Lessee.
Please contact Alison Wright on 0478 352 505 to arrange a site inspection.
All expressions of interest must be submitted to Bathurst Regional Council by:
Tuesday, 5 March 2024 at 10:00AM
How to apply
Please submit your Expression of Interest in a sealed and marked envelope Confidential No. 37.00851 Refreshment Room Cafe - Bathurst Rail Museum in the Quotation Box located on the ground floor, Civic Centre, 158 Russell Street, Bathurst.
Please submit your Expression of Interest in a sealed and marked envelope Confidential No. 37.00851 Refreshment Room Cafe - Bathurst Rail Museum addressed to:
The General Manager
Bathurst Regional Council
Private Mail Bag 17
BATHURST NSW 2795
Please submit your Expression of Interest quoting 37.00851 Refreshment Room Cafe - Bathurst Rail Museum to email@example.com.
The lobbying or liaison with Councillors prior to the consideration of Expressions of Interest by Council will lead to the rejection of the offending expression.
Below is a copy of the Head Lease, Sublease and Plans for your viewing.
Railway Museum head lease(PDF, 10MB)
Refreshment Cafe sublease(PDF, 186KB)
Refreshment room Cafe plans(PDF, 181KB)