Animals & Pets

Small Animal Pound

Bathurst Regional Council's Rehoming Organisation Number: R251000098


Many of our unclaimed animals are made available for adoption. All animals undergo basic behaviour assessment and vet checked and are vaccinated, wormed, microchipped and registered. Animals available can be viewed here, or via Bathurst Regional Council's Facebook page.

Adoption Fees

Dog (includes vaccination, worming and microchipping) : $116.00, plus registration fee. Registration is $0 for a dog which is desexed and adopted from a Shelter. Fees for dogs which are not desexed are detailed here...

Cat (includes desexing, vaccination, worming and microchipping) : $195.00, registration fee is $0 for a cat which is desexed and adopted from a Shelter.

If a customer would like to adopt a dog which is not already desexed, Council strongly encourages the customer to arrange desexing with their chosen vet prior to release of the animal.

Adoption fees are detailed in Council’s Revenue Policy and are reviewed annually.

Further information on Registration fees can be found here...

From 1 July 2020, annual permit fees also apply for owners of cats not desexed by the age of four months, and for owners of restricted breeds or declared dangerous dogs. For further information please see here...


Lost - Found Animals

Bathurst Regional Council's Animal Holding Facility is located at 58 Vale Road (Cnr Lloyds and Vale Roads) South Bathurst.  Entrance to the facility is from Lloyds Road. 

Operating Hours

The Pound is open by appointment only.  Customers can make an appointment by phoning Council on (02) 6333 6211.

Customers must provide a name, contact number and purpose of visit eg. release an impounded animal, view an animal available for adoption. If you are wishing to release an impounded animal, please ensure you have suitable documentation with you to provide proof of ownership.

Customers will be able to enter once the previous customer has left the Pound. Please ensure that you have your telephone with you and the team member will call you when you can enter.

Payments for purchase or release of animals can be made by EFTPOS at the Small Animal Pound. Cash payments can only be accepted at the Civic Centre.

Council encourages all members of the community to consider pet adoption at this time. Don’t forget that you can view all available animals online, and speak to a team member to discuss which pet might be right for you.






Adopt a Pet Listing

Animals available can beviewed here, or via Bathurst Regional Council'sFacebook page.


Purchasing an Animal

Council sells cats and dogs from the Small Animal Pound.

If you see a cat or dog you like, you are welcome to enquire about the purchase of that animal.  You will be informed by Council as soon as possible after the required holding period, allowing the owner to reclaim the animal, has expired.

All animals purchased from the Small Animal Pound are vaccinated, wormed and checked by a vet prior to sale. All efforts are made to ensure that an animal is in good health, but Council cannot be held responsible for any veterinary fees or treatment required after the purchase of an animal. Council staff will always endeavour to ensure that an animals needs are matched to that of their new owners. Community members interested in adopting a pet are encouraged to discuss their individual circumstances (eg the size of their backyard, fences, ability to take an animal for regular exercise) with staff.

All animals are microchipped and identified, and must be registered by their new owner prior to release from the Pound.

On 1 July 2021 changes were made to the companion animals fees which mean that desexed animals purchased from a Pound or Shelter have a $0 registration fee. Further information on registration fees is available here


Microchipping and Registration

The Companion Animals Act 1998, which came into effect in September 1998, replacing the Dog Act 1966, is designed to benefit pets, their owners and the wider community.  Numerous changes were recently made to the Companion Animals Act 1998 which came into effect in November 2013.

Amongst other things, the Companion Animals Act requires cats and dogs to be identified by microchip by the age of 12 weeks and lifetime registered by the age of 6 months. The permanent identification and lifetime registration system, which came into effect on 1 July 1999, greatly assists authorities in returning lost and injured animals to their owners. It provides NSW Councils with a more effective means of keeping track of cats and dogs for the benefit of the wider community.

Registering your Companion Animal - a two step process

Step 1 - Microchipping your animal

Under the Companion Animals Act, cats and dogs, which reside in NSW, must be identified by microchip by 12 weeks of age. Microchipping your animal is the first step in the registration process.

When an animal is microchipped its identification details are entered onto the NSW Companion Animals Register. A certificate is issued to the owner receipting the entry of their animal's details.

Microchips are about the same size as a large grain of rice. They are very safe. Your pet will feel little pain as the chip is inserted quickly and safely under the skin between the shoulders.

When the chip is scanned, a number displayed on the scanner will be used to identify your cat or dog.

Microchipping can be arranged through your local vet or authorised implanter.

Step 2 - Registering your animal

Once you have microchipped your animal, you then need to lifetime register it by 6 months of age. Infringements may be issued to owners of animals whose animal is older than 6 months of age and is not registered.

Lifetime registrations can be made at any Council, the RSPCA or the Animal Welfare League or online at  Proof of desexing must be provided to be eligible for the reduced registration fee.

For information on costs and documentation required please contact Council on 6333 6531.

SMS reminder service

Council has a service which sends SMS reminders to dog and cat owners to register their pets.

Registering your pet and updating the contact details, if required, is the best way to ensure your pet is returned to you if they ever become lost. Pet owners are encouraged to have their cat or dog desexed before registering it. Having the pet desexed prior to registration helps to reduce straying, fighting and aggression and antisocial behaviour, such as spraying to mark territory. It also helps to reduce the number of unwanted pets born each year.

Pet owners are encouraged to register their cat or dog online at, which is a database of registered cats or dogs that live in NSW. The registration fee is a once-only payment, which covers the cat or dog for its lifetime in NSW, regardless of any changes in ownership. It is important to have the desexing certificate from your vet to access the discounted fees.”

Note for Cat Owners

  • If your cat was born, sold or given away after July 1999, it must be microchipped and lifetime registered through a local Council.
  • If you owned your cat before July 1999, you must identify your cat with a collar and tag or microchip. You do not have to register the cat.

Registration Exemptions

The only allowable registration exemptions are provided for in Section 16 of the Companion Animals Regulation:

A cat born before 1 July 1999, other than a cat whose ownership changes after that date,

An animal that is ordinarily kept outside New South Wales, but not if the animal has been in New South Wales for a continuous period of at least 3 months,

An animal in the custody of a council (including in a council pound), the Animal Welfare League NSW, The Cat Protection Society of NSW Inc. or RSPCA,

An animal in the custody of an organisation approved by the Director-General, for the purposes of this clause, by order published in the Gazette,

An animal kept at a pet shop for the purposes of sale,

An animal kept for the purposes of sale in the course of a business conducted at a booth or stall in a market or at a fair,

A greyhound registered in accordance with the rules made in relation to greyhound racing under the Greyhound Racing Act 2009,

A dog that is ordinarily used by a police officer on official duty,

  • a dog that is ordinarily used on official duty by a correctional officer (within the meaning of the Crimes (Administration of Sentences) Act 1999),
  • a dog used by a Commonwealth officer on official duty,
  • an animal in the custody of an accredited research establishment within the meaning of the Animal Research Act 1985, or the holder of an animal research authority or an animal supplier's licence within the meaning of that Act, for purposes in connection with animal research, as authorised under that Act,
  • an animal kept at a licensed animal display establishment within the meaning of the Exhibited Animals Protection Act 1986 and lawfully exhibited in accordance with that Act,
  • a working dog that is ordinarily kept in a part of the Western Division of the State that is not within a local government area,
  • a working dog that is ordinarily kept on land categorised as farmland for the purposes of Part 3 of Chapter 15 of the Local Government Act 1993. 

Animals covered under these exemptions are not required to be identified or registered.

Any animal which is seized and taken into the custody of a Council pound or animal shelter must be microchipped and lifetime registered before being returned to its original owner. This requirement overrides any exemptions.


Stray Animals

The Companion Animals Act 1998 requires that your dog must be adequately contained on your property.

If your dog is in a public place and not in a designated off leash area, it must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held (or secured to) the person.

Any person (including Councils Rangers) can seize a dog that is in a public place and is not under the effective control of a competent person. Should the owner of the dog be present only a Ranger may seize the animal should the owner not comply with the above requirements.

Any dog, which is seized by a member of the public, is required to return the animal to its owner (if the owner is known) or contact Council to make arrangements for it to be transported to the Small Animal Pound. 

I've Found a Lost Dog or Cat?

In accordance with the NSW Companion Animals Act, 1998, if you find a lost animal you are required to deliver it to a Council shelter, pound or vet within 72 hours. The owner may be looking for the animal and therefore Council needs to check the microchip and contact the owner. Local vets can check the microchip and contact the owner or, if not microchipped, they will contact Council for collection. 

Council may collect cats by request, if they are appropriately contained.

Seized Dogs and Cats

Council will house straying animals for 14 days when an animal is microchipped (identified). Council staff will contact the owner in writing and via the telephone. Keeping your contact details up to date by visiting is the best way to ensure that you will be quickly reunited with your pet.

If an animal is not microchipped (identified) Council will house the straying animal for 7 days. In NSW dogs and cats must be microchipped by 12 weeks or age, or before being sold or given away. If your dog or cat has been impounded you will need to provide evidence of ownership of the animal before it can be released to you.

Owners releasing a seized animal will be required to pay a release fee and daily maintenance fees for the feeding and care of the animal. All dogs and cats must be microchipped and lifetime registered prior to being released from Council’s care.

If a dog or cat is not released by it’s owner it will be assessed by staff for rehoming. Some animals may require training or rehabilitation before they are ready for adoption.

After Hours

Council's after hours service is only available for emergency situations involving a dangerous or restricted breed dog roaming, straying animals or where a dog attack has occurred. Should you require assistance please contact (02) 6334 2795 or the local Police who will contact Council's After Hours Service if they require assistance.

I've Lost My Dog or Cat

If you have lost your dog or cat, please contact the Small Animal Pound on 6333 6190 to see if your animal is in Council’s care. Check Council’s Facebook page and search recent posts regarding lost pets.


Should you find livestock roaming free or in a dangerous place please contact Council on (02) 6333 6111 during business hours. If outside of business hours please contact Council’s After Hours Service on (02) 6334 2795 or the local Police.



Off Leash Areas

Is your dog bored sitting in the backyard at home?  Why don't you take your dog for a walk in one of Council's many off-leash areas.

Bathurst Regional Council recognises that some dogs needed more exercise than others.  As a result Council has declared 12 sites for use as off-leash dog exercise areas.

Details and maps of each off-leash dog exercise area are provided in our Parks, Recreation and Cemeteries listing...

Keep in mind when using these areas all dog owners must maintain effective control over their dogs at all times.  Make sure that your dog is visible at all times and controlled by voice command.

Please pick up your dog's droppings and leave the off-leash area in a clean and tidy condition.  Not only does this keep the area clean for all users but it reduces the spread of contagious diseases, and worm infestation (eg. hookworm, roundworm, tapeworm etc).  Dog poo bins are provided at all off-leash areas.  Some off-leash areas also have bio-degradable bags attached to the bins for use when picking up your dog's droppings.