Water Information

Water Information

Supply of Bulk Drinking Water

Bulk Water Station

Council provides a bulk drinking water supply for rural customers (within the Bathurst Local Government Area but outside the city water supply network) and approved construction and works projects. This water supply is accessed through four dedicated bulk drinking water filling stations located in Hereford Street between the Macquarie River and Gilmour Street.

The water is sourced from the Bathurst water supply system and has been treated to meet the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines. The water must be used in a conservative manner that is consistent with Bathurst’s current level of water restrictions.

Cost of Bulk Water

The cost of bulk water is currently $5 per kilolitre (1000L) and may be subject to change.

Accessing Bulk Water

Step 1: Bulk Water Permit
To access the bulk drinking water, all customers must first obtain a Bulk Water Permit Application(PDF, 454KB) and email it to  or present it in person at the Engineering Counter (Top floor, Civic Centre, 158 Russell Street).

Step 2: User Registration
Once a permit is obtained, all paying customers will need to complete a one-off User Registration Form – Hereford Street Water Filling Stations(PDF, 653KB). This can be returned to Council in person (Engineering Counter, Top floor, Civic Centre, 158 Russell Street) or via email at bulkwater@bathurst.nsw.gov.au.

Council will aim to process registration forms immediately upon receipt but may require up to two working days before registration is confirmed. Customers are therefore encouraged to complete the registration process well in advance of needing access to water.

Once these steps are completed, customers are able to access the water stations at any time. The Bulk Water Filling Station User Instructions(PDF, 1MB)

Water Carters

As per the Public Health Act 2010 and Public Health Regulation 2012, bulk water carters who supply water to third parties must develop and adhere to a Quality Assurance Program (QAP). The QAP aims to ensure safe drinking water is provided to end users and must be submitted to NSW Health. Water carters must keep detailed records, undertake regular inspections, use appropriate equipment, and ensure tanks are clean and disinfected. See NSW Health Guidelines for Water Carters for details.

Documents and Links

Bulk Water Filling Station User Instructions(PDF, 1MB)
User Registration Form – Hereford Street Water Filling Stations(PDF, 653KB)
Bulk Water Permit Application(PDF, 454KB) 
Water Restrictions
NSW Health Guidelines for Water Carters


Water Meters

Water Meters

Water meters are an important part of Council’s water supply infrastructure. There are over 12,500 water meters in the Council’s water meter fleet Meters accurately record the water consumed by each property. This enables billing by Council for the water consumed and permits Council to account for all the water supplied to the community.

Reading Water Meters

Water meters measure the amount of water you use at your property. This measurement allows Council to accurately charge customers for the water they’ve used. It also helps customers to monitor their water use. The meter records usage in kilolitres. Meters are read manually or electronically four times a year, generally in the months of June, September, March and December.

Black numbers tell you how many kilolitres you have used, Red numbers tell you how many litres you have used.

Bathurst Regional Council requires access to its meters for meter reading and routine maintenance. Meters should not be made inaccessible behind a fence or wall, or covered by trees or shrubs. Dogs and other pets should be suitably restrained.

Council staff will always make sure the water meter and surrounding area is returned to the way it was upon arrival. Meter readers carry tools to enable them to access and read the meters without disturbing residents’ property.

Residents are encouraged to monitor usage as this will assist households to monitor and potentially reduce water consumption, in turn possibly reducing the cost of quarterly water bills.

Smart Meters

A smart meter is a device that automatically records water use and can report that usage data electronically at regular intervals. This provides instant access for Council staff to data that can highlight any issues or trends to better manage the water network. For more information about smart meters including details on how to read your smart meter or access the customer portal YourWater please follow this link SMART CITY.

Leaking meters and Pipes

1. Know Your Dials

Make sure that you know what the dials on the water meter measure. See reading water meters.

2. Turn off all taps

Ensure that all taps within the house and garden (not including the stop-tap)  are turned off, and that all water appliances, including toilets, dishwashers and washing machines, are NOT being used.

3. Is the wheel moving?

Examine the meter for a few minutes and note any movement

4. Take two readings

To determine the extent of a leak, take a start reading, wait 10 minutes, then take a final reading. Don’t forget to read all of the dials.

5. What’s the difference?

Subtract the start reading from the final reading. Be sure to write your answer in litres and not kilolitres. Multiply by six to determine the amount of litres lost per hour.

6. Fix the Leak

If a leak is detected, arrange for a plumber to locate and repair the leak.

Drinking Water Refill Stations

Water Stations

Council has installed two new drinking water refill stations at the following locations:

  • The Bathurst Regional Art Gallery / Bathurst Library forecourt on Keppel Street
  • Kelso Community Hub at 24 Bonnor Street, Kelso

Visitors and residents can have a drink directly from the water station or fill water bottles with accessible, quality drinking water. 

It is estimated that Australians spend more than one billion dollars a year on bottled water. This is despite the fact that we usually have the opportunity to drink quality tap water.
Council has installed drinking water refill stations in a number of locations in order to assist with reducing our reliance on bottled water and ensure that clean drinking water is available in popular recreational areas. 



Water Accounts

Water Accounts

Residents receive a Water Consumption Advice that accompanies each rate notice. A summary of amount payable is contained on the rates notice itself with more details contained on the Consumption Advice. Your water access charge will appear directly on the July rates notice.

What do these terms mean?

Assessment Number - This is your property identification number, please quote this number or the address of the property if you need to discuss your account with Bathurst Regional Council. 

Property Address - This is the address that the account relates to.   

Meter Number - This is the number of the meter at your property, the meter number is unique and can be cross-referenced to your property address.

Previous Date - This is the date the meter was read last, prior to the current reading.

Previous Reading - This is the quantity of water in kilolitres that has been consumed since the meter was installed at the property. The figure reflects the amount used since the previous meter reading.

Current Date - This is the most recent date the meter was read last.

Current Reading - This is the quantity of water in kilolitres that been consumed since the meter was installed at the property. The figure reflects the amount used as of the current meter reading.

Days - This is the amount of days of water usage included in the billing quarter, it also reflects the number of days between meter reads.

Consumption - This is the total amount of water consumed during the period in kilolitres (a kilolitre is one thousand litres).

Rate - The rate reflects the cost per kilolitre of water consumed, there is a price step after the first 250 kilolitres of water has been consumed. The rate for 2023/2024 is $2.85 for the first per kilolitre for the first 250 kilolitres and then $4.28 for every kilolitre above that step. 

Tariff - This is the type of water that the property is metered for, most residential homes will be metered for residential filtered water.

Average Daily Consumption - This is the amount of water used on average by the household for each day of the billing period.


Difficulties Paying Water Bills

Difficulties Paying Bills

Council recognises that some ratepayers may experience financial difficulties in meeting their rate and or water account commitments on time.

A ratepayer may at any time make arrangements to pay off their outstanding debt by regular payments, subject to the following guidelines;

The amount and frequency of the payments under the agreement are to be acceptable to Council:

  1. Agreements should, where possible, seek to have the outstanding rates and annual charges cleared by the end of the financial year.

  2. Arrangements, where possible are to be paid through direct debit which are available on a weekly, fortnightly and monthly basis.

  3. Current rate and charges accounts and water accounts are to be paid when they fall due in addition to the arrangement plan where possible.

For more information contact Council on (02) 6333 6111.


Water Service Connection Form

Applicants need to complete and submit Council's Application for Water Service Connection and fees.

Please see Water Service Application Form(PDF, 160KB)  and complete the appropriate details.



Greywater Reuse Policy

Greywater is defined as the wastewater from the bath, shower, laundry and hand basins.

Blackwater is defined as the wastewater from the toilets, bidets, urinals, and kitchen sinks.

In most residential premises, the greywater and blackwater streams are combined and divert to the centralised sewerage system or an on-site system such as a septic tank.

Given the prolonged drought conditions experienced in the Bathurst region, many residents are looking for innovative ways to save water. Greywater reuse presents an opportunity to residents to reduce the consumption of the reticulated supply (or tank water), and provide an alternative water source for garden irrigation and some indoor uses such as toilet flushing. Grey water reuse is one of many ways in which a household or individual may reduce its ecological footprint and therefore impact on the local environment.

In line with the guidelines produced by the Department of Primary Industries (Office of Water), greywater reuse can be divided into three different categories:

  • Manual bucketing
  • Greywater diversion
  • Greywater treatment

Council’s “Greywater Reuse (Residential Households)(PDF, 35KB) ” policy outlines the permissible activities for each of the three different categories. Essentially, manual bucketing and greywater diversion are only allowable for garden irrigation. Greywater treatment systems allow for internal uses such as toilet flushing or clothes washing, as well as garden irrigation.

The Department of Primary Industries (Office of Water) has factsheets and other useful information on its website.

Council can only approve the installation of a Greywater Treatment System which has been approved by NSW Health.  Click here to view the list of accredited systems.

A testable dual check valve must be installed with greywater diversion devices and greywater treatment systems (for properties connected to the reticulated drinking water supply). The dual check valve must be installed in accordance with AS/NZ 3500. This is essential for the protection of the reticulated supply.

It is essential to consider that the first step for any household should be to reduce total water usage, and reuse greywater second. Greywater reuse does not provide justification for excessive use of potable water (or rainwater for that matter).

Further it is important to note that most households will not be able to reuse all the greywater generated, regardless of the reuse option adopted. In periods of regular rainfall (especially in winter), there may be limited reuse of greywater for garden irrigation. Each household must undertake a “water balance” assessment to determine the average volume of greywater generated, and the average volume that may be reused.

If you require further information please contact Council’s Environmental, Planning & Building Services Department on (02) 6333 6111.



Stormwater drainage on private property

Stormwater run-off and drainage can be a source of problems for some residents, especially if they believe the water is coming from another property. Council understands that this can create friction between neighbours.
When the council will take action.

Council will investigate and take action on stormwater drainage complaints only where it relates to the flow of surface water from one property across the common land boundary onto another property, and where the following criteria have been met:

  • evidence shows that the water has caused or is likely to cause significant soil erosion or physical damage to a building on the other land
  • surface water has been directed to and/or concentrated in a particular area by a man-made structure or drain
  • Surface water is the result of defective roof drainage from a dwelling or outbuilding.
How to report a stormwater drainage issue

When reporting a stormwater drainage issue on private land, please include the following information:

  • Describe what is occurring
  • When did it occur and on how many past occasions
  • Have you made contact with Council about this issue previously
  • What is the source on the neighbouring land that is causing the problem
  • Describe how your land and/or building are being damaged. (include a written report from a suitably qualified person stating the land or building is likely to or is being damaged)
  • Have you obtained professional advice as to the source of the stormwater issue
  • Have you liaised with your neighbour to address this matter
  • Have you sought advice or initiated mediation with your neighbour through the Community Justices Centre
  • Do you have photos of the stormwater problem as it is occurring (include photos)
When the council will not take action

Officers have the discretion to take no action in circumstances where:

  • the surface water is natural run-off from the property (or properties above) due to the topography and isn't being redirected in any manner
  • surface water is flowing down existing hard surface areas such as driveways, tennis courts, concrete slabs or paved areas
  • the location of a dwelling or outbuilding impacts on surface run-off
  • surface water run-off occurs only in periods of exceptionally heavy rain
  • the run-off is from new development work that is the subject of a development consent and has been constructed in accordance with that consent
  • The drainage problem involves discharges from defective or blocked private inter-allotment drainage easement.

Please note: Private inter-allotment easements are the responsibility of the property owners who are burdened by and/or benefited by the easement.

Sloping blocks

If you're a living on a sloping site, you should be aware that natural surface water will flow down the slope following the contours of the block. Unless the cause of the surface water meets the criteria above, you have responsibility to install surface water controls. Any diversion of surface water must be carried out in a way that doesn't have a detrimental impact on any other properties further down the slope.

Seepage water

Seepage water is the responsibility of individual property owners. Where sloping blocks have been excavated to obtain a flat yard or building site, seepage drains should be constructed to redirect water to a stormwater drainage system.

You should liaise with neighbours to address any problems. If possible, drainage easements can be created to direct water to a council stormwater drainage system.

Disputes resolution

If you wish to formally manage discussions, you may also consider contacting the Community Justice Centre. The centre offers free advice and mediation services and can be contacted on 1800 990 777 or through their website.