Hi there, I'm Eddy. Today we're going to learn about
Water In Bathurst.
- Download the full Module 3 Program
- Find Module 3 Activity Sheets and Support Resources
- Find the Wade Family Module 3 Video
- What is a dam and why are dams so important?
- The journey of water from dam to tap
- Why do water levels in the dam change?
Each learning element contains one or more: guided group discussion and activities. The delivery of the learning elements is supported by a range of specially designed fun activities sheets and support resources.
This web page offers a brief experience of this module and it's learning elements.
The downloadable version of the module program contains more detailed information including:
- Alignments to the Early Years Learning Framework
- Key terms
- Background information
- Links to additional support resources, links and materials
Hi! Grandpa Douglas wants to share his knowledge on dams.
Learning Element 1: What is a dam and why are dams so important?
Group discussion - Have you ever been to visit a dam? Do you know what dams do and why they are so important?
- Resource for learning: Weblink: Chifley Dam water level information
- Educators may wish to revisit Module 2: How do we use water? Learning Element 3 How do we use water at work?
Activity: Finding out about dams, reservoirs, pump stations and filtration plants
- Children are shown photos of Bathurst water infrastructure and learn what each one's role is in supplying water to the community.
- Resources for learning - Support Resources: Photo of Chifley Dam, Reservoir, Water Pump Station, Water Filtration Plant
Grandma Coral has been wondering about the journey water takes to get to her kitchen tap. Let's find out more!
Learning Element 2: The journey of water from dam to tap
Group discussion - How does water get from the dam to our taps? What happens to the water on its journey?
- Resource for learning - Video: Module 3 Water in Bathurst
Activity: How does water get from the dam to our taps?
- Children look at a map of Bathurst's water supply network and follow the journey of water
- Resources for learning - Support Resources: Map of Bathurst's Filtered and Raw Water System, Photos of Chifley Dam, Reservoir, Water Pump Station and Water Filtration Station
Activity: Water moving through pipes experiment
- Children create a flow pathway for water using pipes and tubes and learn how different gradients impact on flow speed
- Resources for learning - Plastic tubing of different lengths and diameters, watering can or jug, collection bucket.
Mum Delta is here to find out why water levels change in dams.
Learning Element 3: Why do water levels in the dam change?
Group discussion - What causes changes to the water levels in a dam?
- Resources for learning - Activity Sheets: Complete The Water Cycle, Wade Family Indoors, Wade Family Outdoors, Water Use Flash Cards
Activity: Experiment to demonstrate changing water levels in a dam
- Children learn how the use of water impacts on the level of a water source
- Resources for learning - Large bowl, waterproof pen, small containers