Hi there, I'm Brooke. Today we're going to learn about
How we use water
- Download the full Module 2 Program
- Find Module 2 Activity Sheets and Support Resources
- Find the Wade Family Module 2 Video
- Water in our world: Where do we find water in nature?
- How do we use water at home and in our environment?
- How do we use water at work?
Each learning element contains one or more: guided group discussion and activities. The delivery of the learning elements is supported by a range of specially designed fun activities sheets and support resources.
This web page offers a brief experience of this module and it's learning elements.
The downloadable version of the module program contains more detailed information including:
- Alignments to the Early Years Learning Framework
- Key terms
- Background information
- Links to additional support resources, links and materials
Hi I'm Eddy! Do you know how many ways we use water? Let's find out more together!
Learning Element 1: Water in our world: Where do we find water in nature?
Group discussion - How much of the Earth is covered in water? What types of water can we find? What do humans, animals and birds use water for?
- Resource for learning - Support Resource: World Map with Oceans; or other world globe or large poster of world map
Activity: How do animals and birds use water?
- Children learn to recognise some of the ways animals and birds use water in different environments.
- Resources for learning - Activity Sheet: Water in the Environment Matching Cards (print double sided and laminate and cut out) Support Resource: World Map with Oceans
Activity: Personal experiences with water
- Children share their memories and experiences with different bodies of water - holidays at the beach, fishing in rivers, playing in pool.
- Resources for learning - A4 paper, coloured pencils and pens
I wonder if you can guess how many ways Grandma Coral uses water each day?
Learning Element 2: How do we use water at home and in our learning environment?
Group discussion - Discuss all the different ways water is used around your learning environment and at home, for health, hygiene and pleasure.
- Resource for learning - Video: Module 2 The Wade Family - How Do We Use Water
Activity: What we use water for
- Children use the fun activity sheets to observe and learn how water is used inside and outside our homes
- Resources for learning - Activity Sheets: Water Use Flash Cards, Water Use At Home, Wade Family Indoors, Wade Family Outdoors; Video: Module 2 The Wade Family - How Do We Use Water?; coloured pencils
Activity: Water use through mime
- Children take turns miming various uses for water at home, while others try to guess what is being mimed
Activity: 'Water Discovery Walk'
- Children go on a walk around their learning environment and discover the many ways water is used.
- Resources for learning - Activity Sheets: Water Discovery Walk
Grandpa Douglas is so old that he knows lots of things! I wonder what he knows about how water is used at work.
Group discussion - How is water used in different places of work, such as in manufacturing (factories) or agriculture (farming)? What impacts do drought and water restrictions have on water?
- Children learn about different work-places that use water - farms, factories, fire-stations, schools
Activity: Old MacDonald had a farm....but it didn't rain!
- Children learn to recognise wet and dry environments, the colours associated with each, the feel of wet materials and dry materials, and see how water helps seeds germinate/grow
- Resources for learning - Support Resources: Dry Environment, Wet Environment; small pots or containers, name labels, kitchen towel, cotton wool, cress seeds, spray water bottle
Activity: What goes into a bottle of water?
- Children learn what is involved in manufacturing a bottle of water, and how water is used to produce other items e.g. clothing, cars, toys etc
- Resources for learning - Support Resources: Plastic Bottle Impact; optional book The Adventures of a Plastic Bottle