Do you need Open Burn Approval?

MEDIA RELEASE 4 April 2017

With the cooler weather approaching, Council would like to remind residents planning to conduct an open or pile burn that Council approval may be required.

For properties under ten hectares within the city limits or within one of the villages or rural residential areas, landholders need to obtain an Open Burn Approval from Council. There is no fee for this application.

Properties over ten hectares and outside city or village limits do not require an Open Burn Approval but landholders are reminded to notify neighbours and the Rural Fire Service (RFS) to reduce unnecessary brigade call outs.

Mayor Graeme Hanger OAM said seeking the correct approvals is a legal requirement and important for the protection of the community.

“We all know that there is a potential for bushfire risk when inappropriate burns are conducted,”

“It is important to notify your neighbours of a planned burn. Smoke and ash can be a nuisance or cause health impacts to those who suffer from asthma and other respiratory illnesses,” he said.

For more information please visit or call Bathurst Regional Council on 6333 6511or the Rural Fire Service on 6333 1333,

Media Contact: Corinne Boer Media and Communications Officer