Flying-foxes are nomadic mammals that travel up and down the east coast of Australia feeding on native blossoms and fruits, spreading seeds and pollinating native plants. The Flying-foxes are seasonal visitors to Bathurst arriving in Summer and moving on to warmer locations when the temperature drops too low.
The Grey Headed Flying-fox is listed as a threatened species under state and federal environmental legislation because of declining numbers. The main threat to this species is the loss of their natural habitat which is forcing these animals closer to towns and people as they search for food and shelter.
Flying-foxes in Machattie Park
The Flying-foxes established a camp within Machattie Park in November 2017. The main species in the park is the Grey-headed Flying-fox, with smaller numbers of Little Red Flying-foxes.
Bathurst Regional Council is working with expert consultants to prepare a Flying-fox Camp Management Plan for Machattie Park and Kings Parade. This plan will provide a tool to ensure appropriate management of the Flying-fox colony occupying the park.
The Plan will be developed with input from the community to ensure that relevant issues are addressed and appropriate management strategies identified. Your participation will assist with gaining a better understanding of the community’s values, experiences and concerns regarding the Flying-foxes and their management.
It would be of great assistance if you could participate through any of the following means:
• Complete the online survey on Council’s Your Say website https://yoursay.bathurst.nsw.gov.au/
• Attend the Community Feedback Drop-in Session, to be held near the Machattie Park Rotunda on the 23 April from 11.30am-2.30pm
• Contact Eco Logical Australia directly on (02) 4302 1236 or to discuss further
Flying-fox management actions currently being undertaken by Council include:
• Carrying out additional raking and cleaning activities to maintain the amenity of the park
• Providing information and education on Flying-foxes
• Implementing work health and safety measures for Council’s parks and gardens staff working in Machattie Park
• Continuing to monitor the flying fox population while they remain in Machattie Park
More information on flying foxes can be found from the links listed below: