The Bathurst Cemetery represents a large slice of the history of Bathurst with the "old" Monumental Section dating back to 1867. The Monumental Section contains many historic graves including the grave of former Prime Minister, Ben Chifley in the Catholic Portion. The Maranatha Lawn Cemetery was established in 1977 and it includes lawn graves, a rose garden and niche walls for ashes as well as the Birralee Baby Section.
In 2013 a crematorium was opened at the Bathurst Cemetery and at this time the management of the cemetery and crematorium was contracted to Norwood Park. For all enquiries relating to the Bathurst Cemetery, including burials or cremations, please contact:
Ph. 02 6332 5904
M. 0455 046 819
Georges Plains Cemetery – Saint John's Road, Georges Plains
This is a small cemetery representing the Anglican Parish that has been in continual use for 140 years. Part of the significance of this cemetery is related to its proximity to the Church of St Johns and its special setting within a screened area that includes the church. The church and cemetery were subdivided in 1996 with the church now in private ownership.
Arkell (Long Swamp) Cemetery – Old Trunk Road, Arkell
This is a small Catholic cemetery on 2 acres of land which represents the all but forgotten village of Carrawa, formerly the settlement of Long Swamp which is now called Arkell. The cemetery contains approximately 50 grave beds and / or monuments representing some 75 persons and 22 surnames for the period from 1862 to 1965.
Rockley (Jumper's Flat) Cemetery – via an unsealed access road, off the Triangle Road, Rockley
This cemetery, which is still in use, is very large by rural standards, with widespread groupings of headstones, most facing east in the traditional way. Headstones date from 1864 with at least 260 burial sites recorded in this cemetery. Over 15% of the graves in this cemetery are unmarked and are now 'unknown'.
Trunkey Creek Cemetery – Trunkey Cemetery Road, Trunkey Creek
Trunkey Creek Cemetery is a small cemetery with some 196 persons interred at this site. The cemetery is in a sheltered location of bushland about 1km from the Trunkey Creek village and is serviced by the Trunkey Cemetery Road and a bush track. Apart from some minor grave sites, this cemetery is the only known graveyard serving this settlement. It has a good range of monuments and is estimated to have been in use since 1873. This cemetery is still in use.
Peel Cemetery – Sofala Road, Peel
This is a small cemetery on approximately 2 hectares of land representing the Catholic and Anglican residents of the settlement of Peel and surrounding rural districts. Located in an area of light bushland, the cemetery is located approximately 2kms from Peel and is accessed via private property.
Wattle Flat Cemetery – Limekilns Road, Wattle Flat
This small general cemetery was dedicated on 18 January 1884. Known burials are however very few. Only 6 memorials still stand and 2 of these are for unknown persons. The dates of the burials range from 1910 to 1925. The remaining headstones appear to be in what was the dedicated Anglican section of the cemetery. The cemetery land is in general scrubland and due to the difficulty to survey, other memorials may that have previously been unidentified may exist.
Sunny Corner Cemetery – Dark Corner Road, Sunny Corner
This is a small cemetery representing the former copper and gold mining community of Sunny Corner, established in 1870. It retains social significance to the small community and also the former population of miners, many of whom were Cornish and whose lives were affected by the inherent dangers of the late 19th Century mining practices.
Sofala Cemetery – Sofala Road, Sofala
This general cemetery is located high on the hill above Sofala, on the road to Bathurst. It is the resting place of at least 181 known persons, of mixed denomination, and probably many more now unknown. Death register records indicate that the 'real' number of interments would exceed 300. This cemetery contains the only known Chinese grave in Sofala. The cemetery remains in use today.
Tambaroora Catholic Cemetery – Hill End
This cemetery commenced around 1855 and served the local communities of Tambaroora and Hill End for over 150 years. It is no longer in use. The cemetery is remotely located and difficult to access. Approximately 80 people are recorded as being interred here.
Tambaroora General Cemetery – Steel Street, Hill End
This is a moderately sized cemetery principally representing the gold rush settlements of Tambaroora and Hill End from around 1855. The three lots of land that comprise the cemetery were originally dedicated as a site for a Church of England church, school and a parsonage. The land was re-dedicated almost 90 years later as a general cemetery.
Today the cemetery is a great attraction to visitors of the historic Hill End area. Its peaceful bushland setting makes it a very different place from the bustling heyday of the 1860's and 70's when it was located within a thriving, but short lived, mining boom town.