Subdivision Certificates

The Subdivision Certificate authorises the registration of the plan of subdivision for lodgement with the NSW Land and Property Information. The plan is to be prepared by a registered surveyor.

A Subdivision Certificate, as provided for under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, certifies that the subdivision has been completed in accordance with the consent and any civil work has been completed in accordance with the Construction Certificate.

Prior to the lodgement of any application for Subdivision Certificate, the developer or applicant is to verify that all works required as part of the Development Consent have been completed, inspected and signed off by Council. This includes the lodgement and acceptance of any required Works as Executed Plans.

How do I apply for a Subdivision Certificate?

Applications for a Subdivision Certificate at made through the NSW Planning Portal

New Street Names

Roads created in new subdivisions must be named, unless the road forms part of an extension to an existing named road. The developers of the subdivision need to submit suggested road names to Council for consideration. You can find out about road naming by talking to one of Council's Development Control Planners on (02) 6333 6276.

If approval is given by Council, then notification of the new names is sent to the Geographical Names Board of NSW where the Surveyor General and or the Registrar General can also object to any road naming proposal.

The new road names are advertised in the local newspapers and placed on a 28 day exhibition period to give the general public an opportunity to comment. After exhibition and consideration of any objections received, the names are published in the NSW Government Gazette.

The NSW Geographical Names Board website provides further information on road naming guidelines.

New Street Numbers

In the town and village areas, street numbers are allocated by Council at the time new residential allotments are created by a plan of subdivision.

In the rural areas, a rural addressing system is used, which is based on a measurement from the property entrance point to the closest significant road intersection.