What is a Building Certificate?
A Building Certificate is a certificate issued by Council stating it will not make certain Orders or take certain action under the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979 or the Local Government Act 1993, to Order or take proceedings for an Order to have the building (covered by the certificate) demolished, altered, added to or rebuilt, or to take proceedings in relation to any encroachment by the building onto land under the control of Council, for a period of seven (7) years.
A certificate is usually applied for when selling houses or other property.
Why do I want one?
Obtaining a Building Information Certificate for a property is a way an owner, or potential purchaser, or a financial institution can be assured that the structural assets on the property are in reasonable repair, are safe, and have the approval of Council.
A Building Information Certificate is often associated with the sale of the property, refinancing loans associated with the property, or the regulation of building works that may have been built without Council Approval.
Who can apply?
- The owner(s) of the land on which the building is erected; or
- Anyone having the owner(s) written consent; or
- A solicitor or conveyancing agent acting for a purchaser or the owner; or
- By a public authority that has notified the owner of its intention to apply for the certificate.
How do I apply?
You can apply for a Building Information Certificate by completing the application form or collecting the form from Council's Environmental, Planning & Building Services Counter.
What do I need to provide?
Applicants need to provide the following:
- A completed application form – which includes owners consent (if required) and includes access details (as Council will be required to inspect the property).
- A current survey report of the site which shows all improvements on the land.
How long do they take?
A Building Information Certificate or a request for additional information will usually be received within approximately 10 working days.
Fees & Charges
The schedule of fees is available on Council's application form or by calling the Environmental, Planning & Building Services Department on 6333 6531.